Monday, August 23, 2010

After the Bell Rings...

I looked at Ally, at Sabrina. I knew this was the last time they'd be here. The last time they would hear the bell ring, and walk out of the building chatting with me. It wouldn't be the last time I'd see either of them, but thinking about what everyday would be like without either of them was enough to break my heart on the spot. I'd already been crying for months. Fearing this day, and much worse, fearing what would come after.

I see Ally smiling that silly smile. That smile that I had known since I met her in 4th grade. Ally, the bubbly blonde. Ally, the smart and sporty one. Ally, my best friend. She had been in Balboa since Pre-K. She knew the names of everyone, and of course everyone loved her. I couldn't imagine sitting at lunch without Ally at the table laughing and joking with all of us (and now that I am forced to sit at that lunch table, without her, I can see the tremendous difference she made).

I now look over a Sabrina who was busy laughing with Ally and Victoria. I met Sabrina in 6th grade, not too long ago. Soon after we met we were best friends. We liked the same things, laughed about the same things, even ate the same things. Sabrina, the sassy and sarcastic one. Sabrina, the cutesy one. Sabrina, my best friend. Sabrina hadn't been in Panama long, making it especially sad for her to have to leave. She could make everyone laugh. She used to make me smile when I was upset. Even though I had only known her for a short time, I felt like I had known her my entire life.

Some shook with excitement, some frowned and mourned. I just sat there motionless, watching my very best friends. The ones I might never see again after this summer. As the bell rang, shrill screams rose from the crowd. Most of the fifth and sixth graders simply ran out the doors cheering and chanting. The seventh graders stayed behind. Some crying, some holding back tears, but obviously upset. We gave out hugs and reassuring smiles. We tried to be strong. I tried not to cry, but I couldn't resist. I cried along with several others, but it didn't bring any relief. I still knew that when I walked through those doors again I wouldn't be accompanied by Ally or Sabrina.

6 comments:

  1. Very very well writen, a great piece of writing, just try to spell check.

    "oubviously"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job on this memoir, I really liked how you described Ally and Sabrina using their names as refrains, it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camila, you made me cry with this memoir!!
    it´s very well written, and I loved it.!
    VERY GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really like this post and how you wrote it using their names as refrains, it was good

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's absolutely breath taking I love it
    I love the refrains and every single spec of it
    Its a wonderful contrast absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Balboa sooooo much, i hope i can go back some day.

    ReplyDelete